Last few weeks, I have been playing with kubernetes in search of cloud orchestrator.
I have been running kubernetes bare-metal, the setup took a long time and is quite complicated compared to other solutions.
My setup for debian jessie is available on github
The one machine branch is for a setup with kubernetes master and nodes on a single machine. The master branch is for a setup with multiple nodes on multiple machines.
I think kubernetes is well designed for developing and running web service on a cluster.
Here are the features I noticed the most:
- Declarative way of describing the services
- Running multiple versions of an app
- Labelling of services and pods, this is good for large scale deployments
- Managing the services rather than nodes or containers
- Commands to scale services and roll updates smoothly
- Monitoring and logging
- High availability